- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Bureau of Motor Vehicles

myBMV > Military Families Military Families

Support Our Troops license plate

The BMV has provided a number of resources to assist military personnel and their families in renewing or replacing their credentials or registrations, as well as completing other transactions, while living away from the state.

Important information on this page:

Active Military and Veteran Indicator

Support Our Troops license plateSupport Our Troops license plate

An individual on active duty in the United States Armed Forces may choose to have an “active duty military” indicator placed on his or her credential. To obtain the indicator, you must provide your current military, Common Access Card (CAC) during your new issuance or renewal application.

A veteran may choose to have a “veteran indicator” placed on his/her credential. To obtain the indicator, the applicant must present proof of discharge or separation, other than a dishonorable discharge, from the United States Armed Forces. If the indicator is added to a credential during a new issuance or a renewal transaction, there is no charge. If the indicator is added to an unexpired credential outside of a renewal transaction, there will be a fee to amend your credential.

Visit the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs for additional information regarding veteran benefits and services.

Military Personnel - Renewal or Replacement of your Driver’s License

Indiana law (Indiana Code 9-24-12-6(b)) provides that the driver’s license of any Indiana resident serving in the United States Armed Forces and residing outside Indiana, or spouse and/or dependent (living outside Indiana) of someone in active duty military, remains valid for ninety (90) days after discharge or post-deployment regardless of the expiration date of the license. Please print the Military Extension Letter and while operating a motor vehicle, you should have in your possession your most current license along with this letter and proof of your service in the armed forces.

Customers may renew or replace his or her driver's license online if their name and residential address has remained the same since the last time he or she received a license. You may renew or replace your driver’s license online if you are eligible.

To renew or replace a non-CDL online, you will need to provide  your driver’s license number, legal ZIP code, and last four of the Social Security number.

If you are temporarily living outside Indiana and your Indiana license has been lost or stolen while you are out of the state, you may attempt to either renew or replace your license online or request a 30-day interim credential that will allow you to return to Indiana and renew or obtain a replacement license. You may request a 30-day interim credential by submitting a completed Request for Interim/Extension License - State Form 54580.

If a military applicant, or spouse and/or dependent of a military applicant, holds an expired Indiana license, while on active duty, the applicant is exempt from the knowledge and skills test requirements regardless of the expiration date as long as the individual applies within 90 days of discharge from the military and presents proof of discharge within 90 days when he or she conducts the transaction at a BMV branch. The testing exception does not apply to drivers who have six or more active points on their license or are suspended. If you are out of state, and cannot conduct an online transaction because your driver’s license is expired more than 180 days, you will need to contact the BMV at the number on the bottom of this page to have a subject matter expert review your situation.

Active duty military personnel who have returned from deployment within the prior 90 days who wish to renew their Indiana credential must do the following:

Military CDL Skills Waiver Program

The BMV may waive the required drive skills test for select veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces with specific drive training and were truck drivers during their military service when they apply for an Indiana Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

Military-provided motorcycle safety courses

Indiana recognizes approved motorcycle safety courses completed in other states and all five branches of the military and allows applicants to obtain a motorcycle endorsement after showing proof of completing an approved safety course.

An applicant for a motorcycle endorsement must have completed an approved safety course no more than one year prior to applying for the endorsement. If your course completion card is more than one year old, you may not use that card for a waiver of the skills test.

If you are applying for a motorcycle endorsement in Indiana and have completed a motorcycle safety course in another state or through the military, you must provide a copy of the course completion card, and a copy your driver's license and motorcycle learner's permit (if you have one), to Indiana's Motorcycle Safety Program State Coordinator. You may fax the copy to 317-233-0189 or mail it to:

Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
100 North Senate Avenue, N481 
Indianapolis, IN 46204

The phone number is:  800-497-9979

You must include your mailing address and phone number along with the copy of your course completion card.

If it is determined that the safety course you completed meets the criteria set for approved courses, you will be issued an Indiana course-completion card, dated the same as your original course completion, which will be recognized at any Indiana license branch as a waiver of the state skills test. Replacement cards are normally processed in one to three days plus mailing time. You will be notified if it is determined that the course you took does not meet Indiana standards.

Easy plate renewal

Military personnel from Indiana who live out of the state may either obtain registration in their new state of residence or renew their vehicle registrations through the Indiana BMV. If you are a member of the military who lives out of Indiana but would like to renew your registration in Indiana, you may have the BMV send your registration renewal notice and your renewed material either to your home address or to the address of a friend or family member who can send the material to your current location. If you would like the BMV to send your renewal notice and renewed registration material to your home address, you will need to have a valid mail-forwarding order with your local post office so that your material will reach your current address. If you would like your renewal notice and renewed material sent to the address of a friend or family member, please ensure that the address of your friend or family member is filed with the BMV as your address of record.

If you are a member of the military from another state who is stationed in Indiana, you may renew your vehicle registrations in Indiana. Please visit a license branch with the following documents:

  • Copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement
  • Military Affidavit - State Form 46402 signed by your commanding officer
  • Valid, current military identification card

Please note that active members of the military will not be charged an administrative penalty if they do not renew their registration by their renewal deadline.

Title an imported vehicle

Military and civilian employees of the U.S. government returning at the end of an assignment to extended duty outside the customs territory of the U.S. may include a conforming vehicle among their duty-free personal and household effects.

The following completed documents are necessary for titling imported vehicles for personal use:

  • Letter from the manufacturer (Ford, GM, Chrysler, etc.) that states the vehicle conforms to FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards).
  • Customs Entry Form - The U.S. Customs has several types of entry forms:
    • CF 368 - Collection Receipt or Informal Entry (when duty is due).
    • CF 3461 - Informal Entry (when there is no duty).
    • CF 7523 - Entry and Manifest of Merchandise Free of Duty
    • CF 3299 - Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles
    • CF 3311 - Declaration for Free Entry of Returned American Products
    • CF 7501 - Entry Summary
    • CF 6059B - Customs Declaration
    • NOTE: Military Personnel should have an equivalent Department of Defense (DD) Form.
  • Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHSTA) - NHSTA HS-7 Declaration Form (Importation of Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft Prevention Standards). This form must be filed when motor vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment are entered. The HS-7 can be obtained from custom brokers or ports of entry.
  • Environmental Protection Agency - EPA 3520-1 Emissions Form
  • Documents of ownership (bill of sale, transfer on title or registration, etc.)
  • Physical Inspection of a Vehicle or Watercraft - State Form 39530. A law enforcement official of any state may fill this form out.
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement - State Form 43230 containing original signatures and printed names of both the seller and the purchaser. Any version of this form that meets the Federal Odometer Statement requirements will be acceptable.
  • Application For Certificate of Title For A Vehicle - State Form 205

Once you have all of these documents, you may apply for an Indiana title at a license branch.

License plates supporting military personnel

The special recognition license plate program allows motorists to support military personnel.

Hoosiers who purchase special recognition license plates should expect to pay the following fees:

  • Group fees determined by the organization sponsoring the license plate;
  • Administrative fee of $15, except Air Force Veteran, Army Veteran, Coast Guard Veteran, Ex-Prisoner of War, Marine Corps Veteran, Navy Veteran, Pearl Harbor Survivor, Purple Heart, and Support Our Troops plates;
  • Excise taxes determined by the year and make of the vehicle, and county and municipality of residence. For more information, please view registration fees.

All Indiana license plates that support military personnel are available as motorcycle plates.

To view more information about available military license plates, please select a plate from the list below: