- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Bureau of Motor Vehicles

myBMV > Motorcycles and Motor Driven Cycles > Motorcycle Endorsements > Transferring Your Out-Of-State Motorcycle License Or Endorsement Transferring Your Out-Of-State Motorcycle License Or Endorsement

New Indiana residents who held a valid motorcycle endorsement from another state may transfer that endorsement to their Indiana operator license after passing a knowledge exam based on the Motorcycle Operator Manual.

NOTE: If you hold an out-of-state Motorcycle Only license, the license will only be valid for a motorcycle endorsement. A knowledge examination and skills test must be successfully passed to obtain an operator license with motorcycle endorsement.

Indiana has a process in place for recognizing approved safety courses completed in other states and all five branches of the military.

An out-of-state applicant for an Indiana motorcycle license or endorsement must have completed an approved safety course no more than one year prior to applying for the Indiana license or endorsement. If you passed a motorcycle safety course in another state, or through the military, please send a copy of your safety course completion card, along with your current mailing address and phone number, to the following address:

Motorcycle Safety Program
Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
100 North Senate Avenue, Room 481
Indianapolis, IN 46204

You may also fax the information to 317-233-0189.
The phone number is:  800-497-9979

If it is determined that the applicant’s safety course meets the same criteria as Indiana-approved courses, he or she will be issued Indiana course completion cards dated to the day when the original safety course was completed. This card will allow the holder to waive the required Indiana roadway skills test.

If an applicant’s safety course completion card expires while he or she is holding the Indiana motorcycle learner permit, the applicant must complete another safety course.

Still Have Questions? Contact The BMV