If you cannot obtain a certificate of title from the seller of your vehicle and the vehicle is valued at $5,000 or less, according to NADA clean retail value, you may apply for a certificate of title by completing an Affidavit of Ownership for a Vehicle – State Form 23037. Visit nada.com to confirm the clean retail value of your vehicle prior to applying.
When submitting paperwork, include the following:
- Application for Certificate of Title – State Form 44049
- Affidavit of Ownership for a Vehicle - State Form 23037
- Bill of Sale. Must include the vehicle year, make, VIN, seller, purchaser, purchase price, and purchase date.
- An unopened and unclaimed certified letter mailed to the seller’s (and lien holder, if applicable) last known address requesting the title. If the envelope is opened, your application will be rejected.
- A copy of the certified letter you mailed to the seller’s (and lien holder, if applicable) last known address.
- Physical Inspection of a Vehicle or a Watercraft – State Form 39530. Must be completed by a law enforcement officer.
- Odometer Disclosure Statement – State Form 43230. All trailers and motor vehicles over 16,000 lb. are exempt.
- Lien release, if necessary. A certified letter to the lien holder may serve as proof of lien release, if applicable
- Proof of Indiana Residency. Examples include an Indiana driver’s license or identification card or a utility bill dated within the last sixty (60) days. Download a list of all acceptable documents
- Download complete Affidavit of Ownership application packet
Mail the completed packet to:
Central Office Title Processing
100 North Senate Avenue, Room N411
Indianapolis, IN 46204