Nursery Inspection & Certification
- Nursery Stock means botanically classified hardy perennial or biennial trees, shrubs, vines, fruit pits, and other plants or plant parts capable of propagation. The term does not include corms, tubers, field vegetables, or flower seeds.( IC14-8-2-184 )
- The purpose of the Nursery Dealer's License is to ensure that only inspected and certified nursery stock is sold in Indiana. The Nursery Dealer License application requires a list of sources where nursery stock is purchased. The records of sources are compared with nursery inspection records to ensure dealers are purchasing certified stock.
- A dealer is defined as any person who grows or buys nursery stock for the purpose of reselling or reshipping that stock in Indiana. Dealers who purchase finished stock for resale must buy stock that has been inspected and certified.
- A Nursery is the place where the nursery stock is propagated, grown or cultivated for distribution or sale as a business. Nurseries that grow stock to salable size must be inspected and certified.
- The Nursery Dealer License fee is fifty dollars ($50.00) per year and is valid from January first (1st.) to December thirty-first (31st.). Certified Nurseries & Greenhouses that also buy and resell nursery stock may purchase a Nursery Dealer's License for twenty dollars ($20.00) per year in addition to their certification fee. A Certificate of Nursery Inspection is issued to those nurseries that have been inspected. Nursery Stock is inspected wherever grown and is certified free from injurious plant pests. Certification may be obtained through the Division of Entomology and Plant Pathology or comparable officials of another state or country. All nursery stock sold or commercially shipped in Indiana must be certified free from injurious plant pests.
- According to the Indiana Department of Revenue - "All persons engaged in the business of floriculture, horticulture or arboriculture are retail merchants. All persons so engaged must collect the Indiana Sales Tax from the purchase of all tangible personal property such as shrubs, trees, flowers, etc." (Taken from Sales Tax Information Bulletin #25)
Biological Control Programs
Permits & Licenses
Exotic & Invasive Pest Species Survey & Monitoring