What you need to know before visiting a district office
July 9, 2012 – TaxTalk Blog
In last week’s blog we discussed the services provided at the Department’s 12 district offices located throughout the state.
Here’s the list of the 12 offices, which includes both locations and phone numbers. Except for holidays, all offices are open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. local time, Monday – Friday.
We know your time is valuable. So, when you’re planning a trip to the DOR, here are some tips to make your visit as smooth and speedy as possible:
- Bring a current government-issued photo ID (sorry, your yearbook picture doesn’t count).
- If you’re dealing with a payment discrepancy, bring a copy (front and back) of the cancelled check in question. That way we’ll be able to determine to which account that payment was applied.
- Bring all correspondence and other paperwork associated with your issue, including any bill you may have received, a copy of the tax return(s) in question, missing W-2 forms, etc.
- Have your Social Security number with you. If you’re representing a business, make sure to bring the business’s Taxpayer Identification (TID) and location number with you as well.
- Be prepared to leave your contact phone number and current address, in case we need to do some follow-up.
- If you are representing a taxpayer, make sure to bring a copy of your power of attorney form.
If you’re just not sure what to do, call us before making the trip. Click here for information about how to get in touch with us. We’ll help get you ready for a successful visit.
If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.