Alcohol and Tobacco Taxes Electronic Mandate
Aug. 7, 2014 – TaxTalk Blog
Did you know more than 1,540 businesses report Indiana alcohol and tobacco taxes?
How these taxes are reported and paid has seen a recent change. The 2014 general assembly passed a new electronic mandate which will help simplify reporting and paying these taxes. Effective July 1, 2014, all businesses in Indiana must file and pay their alcohol excise taxes, cigarette taxes, and other tobacco product (OTP) taxes electronically. Additionally, all informational returns must be submitted electronically.
Although the law requires taxpayers to begin filing and paying electronically by July, the department understands taxpayers may need more time to accommodate this new process. Therefore, the department will not accept returns electronically until later this year.
- Alcohol and OTP taxpayers will file their October 2014 returns electronically by the November due date.
- Cigarette taxpayers will file electronically beginning with the January 2015 return, but the department will be able to accept electronic returns beginning Nov. 1, 2014, if taxpayers choose to file their October 2014 returns electronically.
This additional time allows affected businesses to prepare to bulk file their returns. The department is developing the bulk upload capability, and a bulk upload guide for taxpayers already is available online.
Additionally, the department is sending letters directly to affected taxpayers with more and detailed information about these new processes. The letters introduce electronic filing, introduce web pages for the special tax e-mandate, announce bulk upload testing availability, and remind taxpayers of the filing deadline.
For more detailed information about these new electronic filing requirements, visit the following web pages:
If additional information is needed, email email@example.com or call 317-615-2710.
If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- Join us for the Annual Public Hearing
June 07, 2017
You’re invited to the Indiana Department of Revenue’s annual public hearing. Read more...
- Estimated Tax Series Part 3: How to Pay Estimated Taxes
May 31, 2017
This is part three of a series about estimated taxes. Part One discusses estimated tax and who needs to pay them, and Part Two discusses how to figure the amount of estimated tax you need to pay. Read more
- How to Open and Close a Business
May 10, 2017
- Estimated Tax Series Part 2
May 17, 2017
- Free Tax Presentations Available
May 10, 2017
- Estimated Tax Series Part 1
May 3, 2017
- Preparing for Next Tax Season
April 26, 2017