Tuition and Fee Exemption for the Child(ren) of a Disabled Veteran


Tuition and Fee Exemption for the Child(ren) of a
Disabled Veteran

The biological or legally adopted child(ren) of eligible  disabled Indiana veterans may be eligible for Tuition and Fee Exemption at any state-supported post-secondary school or university in the State of Indiana. All students must submit a copy of their birth certificate or adoption papers with their application. Applications submitted without the appropriate documentation will be returned to the student. The child must have been legally adopted. Age restriction for adoption may apply depending when the veteran initially entered the military.

    The veteran must have served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces during a period of wartime, or performed duty equally hazardous that was recognized by the award of a service, campaign or expeditionary medal of the United States (the military discharge must reflect that medal) Residency, Adoption, usage rules, etc may vary between Old Law and New Law rules.  ACTIVE DUTY : C 21-14-1-2.3
"Active duty"
Sec. 2.3. For purposes of IC 21-14-9, "active duty" means full-time service in the armed forces of the United States that exceeds thirty (30) days in a calendar year.
As added by P.L.144-2007, SEC.22.
IC 21-14-1-2.7
"Armed forces of the United States"
Sec. 2.7. For purposes of IC 21-14-9, "armed forces of the United States" means the following:
(1) The United States Air Force.
(2) The United States Army.
(3) The United States Coast Guard.
(4) The United States Marine Corps.
(5) The United States Navy.
As added by P.L.144-2007, SEC.23.
IF THE VETERAN INITIALLY ENTERED THE MILITARY On or After July 1, 2011 reference IC 21-14-4
IF THE VETERAN INITIALLY ENTERED THE MILITARY Prior to June 30, 2011 Old Law requirements still apply. See the Stanley Memo for clarification on residency, adoption, age, and GPA etc.
For complete eligibility criteria reference IC 21-14-4 Chapter 4. Tuition and Fee Exemption for Children of Veterans
Eligible wartime dates are:

WWII: December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946 

Korea: June 27, 1950 and Jan 31, 1955

Vietnam: Aug 5, 1964 and May 7, 1975

Gulf War: August 2, 1990 - present

Along with the application you MUST send a copy of the student's birth certificate OR adoption paperwork.  Additionally, we need the veteran's DD Form 214 (Discharge) AND the award letter issued by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs to verify the service connected disability rating and all other eligibility requirements.