- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Amber Alert
Amber Alert - TEST

Indiana Department of Environmental Management

IDEM > e-Services > Virtual File Cabinet (VFC) and Public Records Office (PRO) Virtual File Cabinet (VFC) and Public Records Office (PRO)

Virtual File Cabinet

The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) is pleased to offer the convenience of internet access to agency public records through the Virtual File Cabinet (VFC). The scanning of records continues on a daily basis. IDEM makes every attempt to maintain current and accurate information in this electronic document repository. Learn more about the Virtual File Cabinet including how to search and enhance viewing options by viewing IDEM’s VFC Frequently Asked Questions [PDF].

Important Update regarding Java error messages

The newest version of Java requires configuration changes to the Java Control Panel to view certain documents in the Virtual File Cabinet (VFC). If you are having problems viewing documents or are seeing Java ‘popup’ errors, please follow the instructions provided [PDF] for Windows XP and Windows 7. If you continue to have technical difficulties please contact the IDEM Helpdesk via phone at (317) 233-5382 or via email at "Idemhelpdesk at".

Public Records Office

The PRO responds to IDEM’s public records requests. If you should need to view, have records copied, or have problems locating documents in the VFC please make a records request. A request may be submitted via e-mail, telephone, facsimile, by U.S. mail or in person. To expedite processing of the request it may be submitted on the Public Records Request Form (available on the IDEM Forms page).

What options do I have to view agency records online?

IDEM has enhanced access to public records through the Virtual File Cabinet. There are also records available on the IDEM website.

Is there a charge or cost associated with making a records request?

There is not a charge for submitting a records request to the agency. There is no charge for viewing records but there may be applicable fees if records are printed from the VFC or copied.

Is there a difference between an information request and a records request?

Yes, a records request is when actual documents are being requested. An information request is when you are requesting data or are asking a question. For instance, if you ask for the status of a Title V air permit for 1234, Inc. located in Main St, Anytown 12345 that is a request for information. If you ask for a copy of the Title V air permit for 1234, Inc. that would be a records request.

More Information:

If you have any more questions you are encouraged to contact the PRO at:

Indiana Department of Environmental Management
Indiana Government Center North Room 1207
100 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46204

  • Phone: (317) 232-8667
  • Fax (317) 233-6647
  • Email: IDEMFILEROOM at