- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Indiana Department of Administration

IDOA > Vendors & Contractors Vendors & Contractors

A step-by-step outline to navigating the process
The State of Indiana requires individuals and businesses who seek to do business with the state to register with a number of different state agencies and offices prior to bidding on contracts and receiving a contract award. To make the process a bit simpler, IDOA has put together a basic outline of the steps required to do business with the State of Indiana.

Step 1: Register with the Indiana Secretary of State

Indiana Secretary Of State
In accordance with IC 5-22-16-4, an offeror or subcontractor that is a business required to register with the Secretary of State and that is desiring to perform any portion of the work described in any bid/quote, must be registered with the Secretary of State of Indiana before they can be awarded a purchase order. All out-of-state and in-state Limited Liability Partnerships, Limited Partnerships, Corporations, S-Corporations, Nonprofit Corporations and Limited Liability Companies must register. To successfully register with the Secretary of State's office your business must be in good standing with the Indiana Department of Workforce Development and the Indiana Department of Revenue.

Step 2: Register with the appropriate state agency and department, as determined by your business offerings.

The Indiana Department Of Administration, Procurement Division
The Indiana Department of Administration manages the purchasing and contracting process for all State agencies except the Indiana Department of Transportation. A good rule of thumb: If you want to sell to Indiana State Government, register with the Department of Administration.

Indiana Department Of Administration, Public Works Division
All building designers and planners, and all building contractors and subcontractors working on projects valued at over $150,000, must be pre-qualified (registered) by Indiana Department of Administration Public Works division.

Minority And Women's Business Enterprises Division
All minority and women-owned business enterprises that wish to provide commodities or services, including construction services, to State Agencies, with the exception of those businesses that seek to do business with the Indiana Department of Transportation, must be certified by the Minority and Women's Business Enterprises Division. Please note: All prime and sub-contractors must also register with the Indiana Department of Administration, Procurement Division before MWBE certification can be awarded.

Indiana Department Of Transportation
The Department of Transportation manages contractors and vendors for INDOT projects. Additionally, the Department of Transportation manages the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Certification for those businesses deemed disadvantaged that would like to bid on INDOT work. Note: A MWBE certified minority- or woman-owned business that would like an INDOT contract should also register as a DBA with the Department of Transportation.

Step 3: Review the Ethics Guide for Contractors Doing Business with the Executive Branch of Indiana State Government.

Ethics Rules from the Indiana Code of Ethics
Compiled by the Office of Inspector General and Ethics Commission, the ethics rules outline prohibited actions for state employees and contractors.

Step 4: Register as an Executive Branch Lobbyist.

Executive Branch Lobbyist Registration
Vendors and contractors who seek to do business with the state and who are not responding to a specific solicitation may need to register as an executive branch lobbyist.

Step 5: Secure the proper DNR/IDEM training or licenses, if required.

Indiana Department of Environmental Management
Use IDEM's permit wizard to determine if IDEM training or permits are required prior to beginning a Public Works or INDOT construction project.

Department of Natural Resources
DNR may require permits for Public Works and INDOT construction projects.

Current Solicitations offered by the State of Indiana