INDOT's Program Development Division is responsible for the collection, analysis and reporting of traffic statistical data and traffic projection, crash data, bridge inspection data, road physical feature's inventory including local road inventory, roadway functional classification, Highway Performance Monitoring System (HPMS), and road life history. It also oversees the development and implementation of statewide management systems of pavement, bridge, congestion, safety and traffic monitoring. Management systems are a logical and effective means of gathering and analyzing information to determine which of several options will provide the most efficient and effective use of resources as a planning tool. The division's sections include Roadway Data, Congestion and Safety Management, Pavement Management, and Bridge Management.
Roadway Data Section
The Roadway Data Section processes the collection, analysis, summary, and retention of highway-related data to be used to support FHWA requirements, INDOT project scoping and highway design functions, and the various management systems.
The section also provides county traffic flow maps and traffic data used to develop annual and forecasted estimates of vehicular travel, vehicle usage or vehicle characteristics associated with various highway systems or particular highway segments. Congestion Management and Safety Management Section
Congestion Management System Unit
- Defines what congestion is, where is occurs and where it potentially might occur in the future.
- Includes investigating demand management and operational movements before adding lanes, and incorporating those ideas into any added lane projects to preserve their efficiency.
Safety Management System Unit
- Cooperates with agencies and organizations to reduce the number and severity of traffic crashes.
- Identifies and investigates hazardous locations, ensuring early consideration of highway safety in projects.
- Identifies safety needs of special users. * Performs routing maintenance and upgrades safety hardware, highway elements, and operational features.
Crash Analysis Unit
- Provides collision diagrams and various crash summaries by location upon request. These reports aid in determining project improvements and priorities.
Pavement Management Section
- Develops and implements pavement management systems for INDOT and local agency roads.
- Collects condition information about state roads.
- Makes decisions about the performance of pavements.
- Maintains the Roadway Reference Post System.
- Produces the Road Reference Physical Feature Inventory Books.
- Provides ride and condition data for pavements.
- Aids in maintaining the Physical Features Inquiry system on IDMS.
Bridge Management Section
Bridge Inspection Unit
- Collects, reviews, maintains and filed the Bridge Inspection/Inventory data for all state and county bridges
- Analyzes the bridge data and make necessary recommendations to INDOT districts and divisions.
- Monitors the bridge inspection frequencies for all public bridges and bridges that require special inspection.
- Provides guidance to the Districe Bridge Inspection Engineers and consultants.
- Furnishes the National Bridge Inventory data and other bridge information to divisions, FHWA, universities and the public.
- Generates annual bridge inspection/inventory report to FHWA.
- Provides assistance and guidance to understand the bridge inspection/inventory codes and terminologies.
Bridge Management Unit
- Develops and implements a bridge management system for all publicly owned bridges (INDOT and county).
- Serves as a decision support tool that supplies analysis of data
- Uses mathematical models to make predictions and recommendations.
- Proposes schedules for bridge programs within policy and budget constraints.