Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
The 2014 outbreak of EV-D68 appears to be associated with an increase in the level of respiratory illness among people in general and more severe disease in some people, particularly children with asthma. For more information please visit the Indiana State Department of Health EV-D68 webpage.
Asthma Emergency Care Plan 2014-15 School Year
The key component to asthma management is maintaining an individualized Asthma Action Plan for each student with asthma. Indiana Public Schools do not require the use of a specific plan. Numerous print, electronic and computer-based interactive plans are provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to assist school nurses in choosing the best plan for use in their schools.
Online Asthma Training for Childcare ProvidersThis training will help providers make their childcare facilities asthma friendly, and will provide education on helping children with asthma in the childcare setting. The training is available by visiting the Indiana Association for Child Care Resource & Referral website. Providers must choose a username and password to access the training. Once a provider has signed in, the training can be accessed under the "Training Central" tab. This training is required for 5 Star Childcare certification. For more information on the 5 Star program, please visit the Indiana Department of Environmental Health.
Winning with Asthma: Coach's Clipboard"Winning with Asthma" is a program designed to educate sports coaches about the effects of asthma on athletes.
Indoor Air Quality Rule
410 IAC 33 To establish an indoor air quality (IAQ) inspection, evaluation, and parent and employee notification program to assist Schools and State Agencies in improving indoor air quality and establish best practices and necessary minimum standards for IAQ, IAC 33 regulates items that affect the IAQ, specifies when the department willinspect for IAQ, and establishs requirements for parent and/or employee notification of IAQevaluation findings.
Resources for Schools and Childcare Centers
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Information on Asthma for School and Childcare Providers
- Environmental Protection Agency: Improving Health in Schools
- Environmental Protection Agency: Healthy Child Care
- National Athletic Trainers' Association
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences: Asthma
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute: Information for Schools/Child Care Centers
- Allergy and Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics: Resources for Schools
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America: Health Professional Programs
- National Association of School Nurses
- Knozone: Take Action at School
- Asthma Alliance of Indianapolis: Resources for Educational Institutions and School Nurses