Chapter 11. Minority Health Initiatives
Powers and duties of the state department of health and the office
of minority health
Sec. 1. The office of minority health and the state department of
health, in partnership with the Indiana Minority Health Coalition,
Inc., shall do the following:
(1) Staff, coordinate, and assist in the implementation of the
comprehensive health plan developed by the interagency state
council on black and minority health established under
(2) Expand, develop, and implement a community based state
structure that is conducive to addressing the health disparities
of the minority populations in Indiana.
(3) Monitor minority health progress.
(4) Establish policy.
(5) Fund minority health programs, research, and other
(6) Provide the following through interdepartmental
(A) The data and technical assistance needs of the local
minority health coalitions.
(B) Measurable minority health objectives to local minority
health coalitions for the development of health intervention
(7) Provide through the state health data center established by
IC 16-19-10-3 minority health research and resource
information addressing the following:
(A) Research within minority populations.
(B) A resource database that can be disseminated to local
organizations interested in minority health.
(C) Racial and ethnic specific databases including morbidity,
diagnostic groups, social/economic, education, and
(D) Attitude, knowledge, and belief information.
(8) Staff a minority health hotline that establishes linkages with
other health and social service hotlines and local coalitions.
(9) Develop and implement an aggressive recruitment and
retention program to increase the number of minorities in the
health and social services professions.
(10) Develop and implement an awareness program that will
increase the knowledge of health and social service providers to
the special needs of minorities.
(11) Develop and implement culturally and linguistically
appropriate health promotion and disease prevention programs
that would emphasize avoiding the health risk factors for
conditions affecting minorities and incorporate an accessible,
affordable, and acceptable early detection and intervention
(12) Provide the state support necessary to ensure the continued
development of the existing minority health coalitions and to
develop coalitions in other areas targeted for minority health
(13) Coordinate each of the counties with existing local
minority health coalitions to:
(A) provide community planning and needs assessment
assistance to the local minority health coalitions; and
(B) assist the local minority health coalitions in the
development of local minority health intervention plans. The
plans shall be developed to coincide with the state fiscal
(14) Establish a liaison between the department and the Indiana
Minority Health Coalition, Inc., to:
(A) coordinate the state department of health resources
needed for the development of local coalitions;
(B) provide assistance to and monitor the local coordinators
in the development of local intervention plans;
(C) serve as the barometer to the state department of health
on the minority health concerns of local coalitions;
(D) assist in coordinating the minority community input on
state policies and programs;
(E) serve as the linkage with the state department of health
and the local minority health coordinators; and
(F) monitor the progress of the fulfilling of their
(15) Provide funding, within the limits of appropriations, to
support preventive health, education, and treatment programs in
the minority communities that are developed, planned, and
evaluated by approved organizations.
(16) Provide assistance to local communities to obtain funding
for the development of a health care delivery system to meet the
needs, gaps, and barriers identified in the local plans.
As added by P.L.278-1993(ss), SEC.30. Amended by P.L.242-2003,
SEC.5; P.L.38-2010, SEC.5.