Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "container" has the meaning set forth in IC 7.1-1-3-13.
As added by P.L.53-1994, SEC.11.
Open alcoholic beverage container during operation of motor vehicle; Class C infraction
Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to the following:
(1) A container possessed by a person, other than the operator of the motor vehicle, who is in the:
(A) passenger compartment of a motor vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation; or
(B) living quarters of a house coach or house trailer.
(2) A container located in a fixed center console or other similar fixed compartment that is locked.
(3) A container located:
(A) behind the last upright seat; or
(B) in an area not normally occupied by a person;
in a motor vehicle that is not equipped with a trunk.
(b) A person in a motor vehicle who, while the motor vehicle is in operation or while the motor vehicle is located on the right-of-way of a public highway, possesses a container:
(1) that has been opened;
(2) that has a broken seal; or
(3) from which some of the contents have been removed;
in the passenger compartment of the motor vehicle commits a Class C infraction.
(c) A violation of this section is not considered a moving traffic violation:
(1) for purposes of IC 9-14-3; and
(2) for which points are assessed by the bureau under the point system.
As added by P.L.53-1994, SEC.11. Amended by P.L.33-1997, SEC.15; P.L.1-2000, SEC.14; P.L.209-2005, SEC.1; P.L.290-2013, SEC.1.