- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor

Indiana Office of Utility Consumer Counselor

OUCC > Electric > Key Cases By Utility > IPL Rates IPL Rates

Base Rates | Electric Vehicles
Environmental Compliance/New Generation | Trackers

In the most recent IURC survey of residential electric utility rates, Indianapolis Power & Light (IPL) ranked second-lowest among the 14 electric utilities under the IURC’s jurisdiction.

As of July 2015, nearly 70 percent of a typical IPL residential customer’s bill paid the base rate (which traditionally covers most infrastructure and operating/maintenance costs) with the remaining 30 percent recovered through rate adjustment “trackers,” as described below.*

Base Rates & Investigation

UPDATE (3/24/16): The IURC issued its final orders on March 16, 2016 & March 23, 2016.

IPL's pending request for a general rate increase and the IURC's investigation of IPL's network facilities have been consolidated into one case. All hearings and filings have concluded.

The OUCC filed testimony on July 27, 2015. For a summary, please see the agency's news release.

An IURC public field hearing in the rate case was held on March 16, 2015. For more information, please see the OUCC's March 2 news release. A complete timetable for the rate case and investigation is available here.

Key documents IPL has filed in its rate request include the following:

IPL's current electric base rates were approved on August 24, 1995, in Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission Cause No. 39938. To review the IURC's 231-page rate order in PDF format, please click here.

Electric Vehicle Proposal

In February 2015, the IURC ruled on IPL's request regarding a proposed electric car sharing program for Indianapolis (Cause No. 44478).

Environmental Compliance Projects & New Generation

IPL has received IURC approval for a $511 million plan to install new pollution control equipment at its Petersburg and Harding Street generating stations. For more information on this case (Cause No. 44242), please click here.

In a separate case, IPL has received approval to build and operate a new natural gas-fired generating facility in Morgan County, and to convert two coal-fired generating units (Units 5 & 6) at its Harding Street station to natural gas. More information on this case (Cause No. 44339) is available by clicking here.

More recently, IPL received approval to convert Harding Street Unit 7 from coal to natural gas. For information on Cause No. 44540, please click here.


In addition to base rates, IPL and other electric utilities recover and credit separate, specific costs through rate adjustment mechanisms known as "trackers." Rate adjustments via trackers are reviewed by the OUCC and approved by the IURC on a quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis.

IPL uses the following trackers:

Tracker Recovers Costs for Frequency IURC Cause No.
Fuel Adjustment Clause (FAC) Coal and other fuels Quarterly 38703
Environmental Cost Recovery (ECR) Emissions control equipment (including operations & maintenance)  Quarterly 42170
Demand Side Management (DSM) Energy efficiency programs Semi-Annual 43623
Green Power Rider (GPR) Program allowing customers to voluntarily buy renewable energy credits Semi-Annual 44121

All publicly filed documents in tracker cases can be reviewed by visiting the IURC's electronic document system and entering the appropriate docket number.

* Rankings and examples refer to monthly usage of 1,000 kWh in the IURC’s 2015 Residential Bill Survey, based on July 1, 2015 billings.